- Senior Lecturer
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, CUHK
- Speech Therapist
The Institute of Human Communicative Research
Clinical and Research Interests
Cleft Lip AND Palate, Craniofacial Dysostosis, Maxillary and Midfacial Advancement Surgery and Speech Outcomes, Perceptual and Instrumental Assessment of Resonance Disorders and Velopharyngeal Function, Speech Sound Disorders
- PhD Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London UK
- MSc in Speech and Language Pathology and Therapy, University College London UK
- B Soc Sc (Honours) in Psychology
- B A in Psychology and Language, National University of Singapore
- Nasendoscopy for Cleft Lip and Palate/Velopharyngeal Dysfunction
- Certified user of Cleft Audit Protocol for Speech-Augmented (CAPS-A)
- International credentialing with Operation Smile
- Adjunct Assistant Professor
The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Medicine
- External Examiner
National University of Singapore, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, The Division of Graduate Medical Studies
- Guest Lecturer
The Polytechnic University of Hong Kong | The Education University of Hong Kong | The University of Hong Kong
- Research Assistant Professor
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Problem-Based Learning Tutor and Clinical Supervisor
University of Hong Kong
- Specialist Speech and Language Therapist in Cleft Lip and Palate/Velopharyngeal Function
North Thames Regional Cleft Service, London UK
- Specialist Speech and Language Therapist in Craniofacial Conditions/Dysphagia
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust and the Craniofacial Unit, London UK
- Locum Speech and Language Therapist
Development Communication/Dysphagia, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London UK
- Paediatric Speech and Language Therapist
Jockey Club Sarah Roe Special Needs School, Hong Kong
- Paediatric Speech and Language Therapist
KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Singapore
Professional and Clinical Registration and Memberships
- Registered with Health Professionals Council HCPC (UK)
- Member of Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists RCSLT (UK)
- Member of Hong Kong Association of Speech Therapists
- Cleft Lip and Palate International Speech Task Force
Craniofacial Dysmorphias and Related Syndromes Committee, International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics (IALP)
- Honorary Assistant Professor
Faculty of Dentistry, Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The University of Hong Kong - Speech Therapist for the Joint Cleft Clinic and Nasendoscopy Clinic (2013-2020)
- Honorary Speech and Language Therapist (2011- 2013)
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London UK
- Sell, D. & Pereira, V. (2016). Speech: Perceptual and Functional Outcomes. In J. Losee and R. Kirsner (Eds.) Comprehensive Cleft Care. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Pereira, V., Sell, D. & Tuomainen, J. (2013). The effect of maxillary osteotomy on speech in cleft lip and palate: Perceptual outcomes of velopharyngeal function. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 48(6), 640-650. (Runners-up prize 2013)
- Pereira, V., Sell, D. & Tuomainen, J. (2013). The impact of maxillary osteotomy on speech outcomes in cleft lip and palate: An evidence based approach to evaluating the literature. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 50(1), 25-39.
- Sell, D. & Pereira, V. (2011). Instrumentation in the Analysis of the Structure and Function of the Velopharyngeal Mechanism. In S. Howard & A. Lohmander (Eds.) Cleft Palate: Speech: Assessments and Intervention. Wiley-Blackwell Publishers UK.
- Pereira, V., Sacher, P., Ryan, M. & Hayward, R. (2009). Dysphagia and Nutrition in Apert Syndrome. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 46(3), 285-291.
- Pereira, V., Tuomainen, J., Ayliffe, P., Mars, M., Hay, N., Sell, D. (2009). An Acoustic Study of Sibilant /s/ Before and After Maxillary Advancement Surgery in Patients with Cleft Lip and Palate. In Raposo do Amaral, C.E. and Albino de Amaral, A.B. (Eds.). 11th International Congress on Cleft Lip and Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies International Proceedings., pp.35-40, Medimond s.r.l. Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy.
- Pereira, V., Sell, D., Ponniah, A., Evans, R., Dunaway, D. (2008). Midface Osteotomy versus Distraction: The Effect on Speech, Nasality and Velopharyngeal Function in Craniofacial Dysostosis. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 45(4), 353-363.
- Sell, D., Nayak, J., Cavalli, L., Cook, F., Masarei, A., Pereira, V., Price, K., Reilly, S., Ryan, M., Shipster, C. 2006. Speech and Language Therapy. In S. Strobel, S. Marks, P. Smith, M. Habbal & L. Spitz. (Eds.) The Great Ormond Street Colour Handbook of Paediatrics and Child Health. Manson Publishing, UK.
- Pereira, V. (2004). Feeding in Syndromic Craniosynostosis. In Hayward R, Jones B, Dunaway D & Evans R (Eds). Craniosynostosis: A Multidisciplinary Approach. London: MacKeith Press.