- Senior Lecturer
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, CUHK
- Speech Therapist
The Institute of Human Communicative Research
Dr Pereira has been in the field of Craniofacial conditions and Cleft lip and Palate (CLP) for over 15 years. She was previously with the Supra-Regional Craniofacial Unit and subsequently joined the North Thames Regional Cleft Service, both based at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust in London. She obtained her PhD in Child Health from UCL Institute of Child Health (UK). Dr Pereira delivered the Braithwaite Oration at the 12th Indian Society of CLP & Craniofacial Society and presented the invited lecture on speech outcomes in CLP at the 11th World Cleft Congress, China. She was recently invited to speak at the Royal College of SLTs (UK) Cleft Clinical Excellence Network Meeting in London. She is the current Chair of the Craniofacial Committee for the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics (IALP) and is a reviewer for several journals. She continues to have her work published and is currently also co-writing a book chapter on Orofacial Anomalies with colleagues in the UK. She collaborates with HK Children’s Hospital on Cleft research and is currently also collaborating with University of Sydney on a clinical education study. Dr Pereira joined CUHK in August 2018 as Senior Lecturer and is Programme Leader of the Professional Diploma in Communication Disorders and Sciences. She also holds an honorary position with the Faculty of Dentistry, HKU, and is the speech therapist for the Joint CLP and Nasendoscopy Clinics at Prince Philip Dental Hospital. She also runs a teaching and research clinic and a private clinic for individuals with CLP and/or Velopharyngeal Insufficiency at CUHK.
- PhD Child Health, UCL Institute of Child Health, London UK
- MSc in Speech and Language Pathology and Therapy, University College London UK
- B Soc Sc (Honours) in Psychology, National University of Singapore
- B A in Psychology and Language, National University of Singapore
- Cleft Lip and Palate, Craniofacial Dysostosis, Maxillary and Midfacial Advancement Surgery and Speech Outcomes, Perceptual and Instrumental Assessment of Resonance Disorders and Velopharyngeal Function, Speech Sound Disorders
- Cleft Lip and Palate
- Velopharyngeal Dysfunction
- Orthognathic Surgery and Speech
- Nasendoscopy for Cleft Lip and Palate/Velopharyngeal Dysfunction
- Certified user of Cleft Audit Protocol for Speech-Augmented (CAPS-A)
- International credentialing with Operation Smile
Award and Honour
- Chair of the Craniofacial Dysmorphias and Related Syndromes Committee of the International Association of Logopedics and Phoniatrics (IALP) (2021-2023)
- 2013-2020 Honorary Assistant Professor, Faculty of Dentistry, Dept. of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The University of Hong Kong - Speech
- Therapist for the Joint Cleft Clinic and Nasendoscopy Clinic
- 2019-2020 Honorary Clinical Educator (CLP Clinic), Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences, HKU
- 2011- 2013 Honorary Speech and Language Therapist, Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Trust, London UK
- Journal Reviewer - Cleft Palate Craniofacial Journal, International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, Journal of Speech Hearing and Language Research, Journal of Applied Science
- Poster Adjudicator, The Joint Annual Scientific Meeting of the Hong Kong Paediatric Society, 29 September, 2019
- Registered with Health Professionals Council HCPC (UK)
- Member of Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists RCSLT (UK)
- Member of Hong Kong Association of Speech Therapists
- Cleft Lip and Palate International Speech Task Force
- Invited Guest Lecturer (Cleft Lip & Palate/VPI) for the Master of Speech Therapy Programme (2017, 2018, 2020), The Polytechnic University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Humanities, Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
- External Examiner for Student Projects SLP5116 for the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology Programme (2014, 2016, 2018), National University of Singapore, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, The Division of Graduate Medical Studies
- Pereira, V., Tuomainen, J., Mars, M., Hay, N., Suchak, A., & Sell, D. (2020). Effect of maxillary osteotomy on speech in Cleft Lip and Palate: Instrumental outcomes of velopharyngeal function. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. Accepted for publication.
- Yiu, O.Y., Chan, C.S.S., Choi, K.Y. & Pereira, V.J. (2019). Cantonese-Cleft Speech Assessment Tool (C-CSAT) [Measurement instrument]. Hong Kong.
- Sell, D. & Pereira, V. (2016). Speech: Perceptual and Functional Outcomes. In J. Losee and R. Kirsner (Eds.) Comprehensive Cleft Care. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Pereira, V., Sell, D. & Tuomainen, J. (2013). The effect of maxillary osteotomy on speech in cleft lip and palate: Perceptual outcomes of velopharyngeal function. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 48(6), 640-650. (Runners-up prize 2013)
- Pereira, V., Sell, D. & Tuomainen, J. (2013). The impact of maxillary osteotomy on speech outcomes in cleft lip and palate: An evidence based approach to evaluating the literature. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 50(1), 25-39.
- Sell, D. & Pereira, V. (2011). Instrumentation in the Analysis of the Structure and Function of the Velopharyngeal Mechanism. In S. Howard & A. Lohmander (Eds.) Cleft Palate: Speech: Assessments and Intervention. Wiley-Blackwell Publishers UK.
- Pereira, V., Sacher, P., Ryan, M. & Hayward, R. (2009). Dysphagia and Nutrition in Apert Syndrome. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 46(3), 285-291.
- Pereira, V., Tuomainen, J., Ayliffe, P., Mars, M., Hay, N., Sell, D. (2009). An Acoustic Study of Sibilant /s/ Before and After Maxillary Advancement Surgery in Patients with Cleft Lip and Palate. In Raposo do Amaral, C.E. and Albino de Amaral, A.B. (Eds.). 11th International Congress on Cleft Lip and Palate and Related Craniofacial Anomalies International Proceedings., pp.35-40, Medimond s.r.l. Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy.
- Pereira, V., Sell, D., Ponniah, A., Evans, R., Dunaway, D. (2008). Midface Osteotomy versus Distraction: The Effect on Speech, Nasality and Velopharyngeal Function in Craniofacial Dysostosis. Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, 45(4), 353-363.
- Sell, D., Nayak, J., Cavalli, L., Cook, F., Masarei, A., Pereira, V., Price, K., Reilly, S., Ryan, M., Shipster, C. 2006. Speech and Language Therapy. In S. Strobel, S. Marks, P. Smith, M. Habbal & L. Spitz. (Eds.) The Great Ormond Street Colour Handbook of Paediatrics and Child Health. Manson Publishing, UK.
- Pereira, V. (2004). Feeding in Syndromic Craniosynostosis. In Hayward R, Jones B, Dunaway D & Evans R (Eds). Craniosynostosis: A Multidisciplinary Approach. London: MacKeith Press.
- Telephone number.: (852) 3943 9609