- Assistant Professor
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
Professor Meehan is passionate, dedicated and excited about the research that she does. She is ideally positioned in the Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery where she works with surgical oncologists and other clinical experts who are tremendously supportive of translational research. This is a unique situation which fosters a productive and successful research program.
Professor Meehan’s research is focused on head and neck cancers with a particular interest in oral cavity cancer. The overarching aim of her research is to improve the understanding of mechanisms of metastases and immunobiology to facilitate identification of novel biomarkers for diagnosis, prognosis and prediction.
In addition, Professor Meehan has ongoing research projects in Australia focused on exploring the role and clinical potential of extracellular vesicles in colorectal cancer and melanoma. She is also involved in an initiative to understand and overcome the poor outcomes of Aboriginal breast cancer patients in Australia.
- Mechanisms of metastases
- Cancer immunobiology
- Liquid biopsy
- Extracellular Vesicles
|2015||Graduate Certificate of Applied Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Curtin University, Perth, Australia
Department of Surgery, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
|1999||B Med. Sc. Hons (Majors: Biochemistry, Genetics and Immunology)
Curtin University, Perth, Australia
|2016 - present||American Association for Cancer Research
Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
|2015 - present||Australian Society for Medical Research
International Society for Extracellular Vesicles
|2008 - present||Proteomics and Metabolomics Society, Australia
Australian Proteomics Society
|2008 - 2010||Institute Scientist Group Committee (Secretary)
Program Advisory Committee for School of Life Sciences, RMIT
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Western Australia
- *Meehan K, Leslie C, Lucas M, Jacques A, Mirzai B, Lim J, Tan B, Bursala M, Khan Y, Solomon B, Sadar C, Friedland P, Mir Arnau G, Semple T, Lim A. Unravelling the immuno-stimulated mechanism driving poor outcomes in oral tongue cancer. Clinical Cancer Research 2019; Submitted and under review.
- Dessauvagie B, Robinson C, McLaren S, Sterrett G, Meehan K, Jeyathevan R, Combrinck M, Ireland A, Wang M, Thomas C, Allanson B, Kang A, Harvey J. Laboratory validation studies in Ki-67 digital image analysis of breast carcinoma – a pathway to routine quality assurance. Pathology 2019; in press (accepted).
- Conceição ALC, Meehan K, Antoniassi M, Piacenti-Silva M, Poletti ME. The influence of hydration on the architectural rearrangement of normal and neoplastic human breast tissues. Heliyon 2019; e01219.
- **Ruhen O and Meehan K. Tumour‐derived extracellular vesicles as a novel source of protein biomarkers for cancer diagnosis and monitoring. Proteomics 2019; 19: 1800155.
- Théry C, Witwer KW et al. Minimal information for studies of extracellular vesicles 2018 (MISEV2018): a position statement of the International Society for Extracellular Vesicles and update of the MISEV2014 guidelines. Journal of Extracellular Vesicles 2018; 7(1).
- **Clynick B, Dessauvagie B, Sterrett G, Harvey NT, Allcock RJN, Saunders C, Erber W, Meehan K. Genetic characterisation of molecular targets in carcinoma of unknown primary. Journal of Translational Medicine. 2018; 16(1): 185.
- Nguyen B, Meehan K, Lim SH, Leslie C, Thomas A, Sader C, Friedland P, Lindsay A, Farah C, Tang C, Lim A. Tumour-derived extracellular vesicles (EV)-a real time functional assessment of tumour activity in patients with head and neck cancer. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 2018; 14: 151.
- Liow S, Meehan K, Nguyen B, Sader C, Friedland P, Lindsay A, Farah C, Tang C, Millward M, Lim A. CD4/CD8 ratio correlates with lymph node involvement in patients with oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology 2018; 14: 149.
- *Meehan K, Clynick B, Mirzai B, Maslen P, Harvey JM, Erber WN. HER2 mRNA transcript quantitation in breast cancer. Clinical and Translational Oncology. 2017; 19(5): 606-615.
- *Meehan K and Vella L. The contribution of tumour-derived exosomes to the hallmarks of cancer. Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences. 2016; 19:1-11.
- *Meehan K, Ruhen O, Myna K, Mirzai B, Erber W. Sensitive blood-based monitoring of breast cancer. Cancer Research 2016; 76 (Sup 4), P2-01-05.
- Heel K, Tabone T, Rohrig K, Maslen PG, Meehan K, and Erber WN. Developments in the immunophenotypic analysis of haematological malignancies. Blood Reviews. 2013; 27(4):193-207.
- *Meehan K and Sadar, M. Quantitative profiling of LNCaP prostate cancer cells using isotope-coded affinity tags and mass spectrometry. Proteomics 2004; 4(4):1116-34.
- *Meehan K, Holland J, Dawkins HJ. Proteomic analysis of normal and malignant prostate tissue to identify novel proteins lost in cancer. The Prostate 2002; 50(1):54-63.