- The first Head and Neck Dissection and Reconstruction Course, now an annual event, was conducted.
- Professor Michael Tong received 耳鼻喉科深港合作項目獎之繼續教育獎awarded by Shenzhen Sixth People’s Hospital (Nanshan Hospital) in organizing國家級繼續教育項目“顳骨解剖與復聽手術最新進展學習班” (Continued Medical Education Project at the national level: Temporal Bone Dissection & Lecture Course on Latest Developments in Ear Surgeries”) jointly with the hospital.
- Department co-organised the Fourth World Chinese Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Conference in Hong Kong with the World Chinese Academy of Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
- Social Thinking Handbook (II): About "Critical Vocabulary" 社交思考實用手冊(II) - 解構「關鍵提示」was launched.
- Department organised a launching seminar with Professor Kathy Lee introducing test administration and clinical application of the Cantonese Tone Identification Test (CanTIT). CanTIT is a validated and standardised assessment tool for measuring tone perception ability of the Cantonese-speaking population and could be applied to the whole range of population from children to adult for research and clinical purpose.
- Department performed the first bonebridge bone conduction implantation in Asia.
- CUHK Affiliated Academic Unit of Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery established at the Alice Ho Miu Ling Nethersole Hospital, enhancing academic and research development as well as service delivery within the specialty of ENT and related disciplines between CUHK and the hospital.
- Department signed a Memorandum of Understanding for Academic Collaborations with the Shenzhen Otolaryngology Institute, Longgang, Shenzhen, China.
- Department developed “ACEHearing”, a patented hearing-assistance and test technology that can be incorporated into smartphones, in partnership with Ximplar Ltd. This world’s first hearing technology to integrate hearing test and custom sound enhancement won the Bronze Award and Audience Choice Award at The Wall Street Journal Asian Innovation Awards 2011.
- Professor Michael Tong performed the first auditory brainstem implantation (ABI) using an advanced device which comes with a removable magnet and that patients are able to undergo regular high resolution magnetic resonance imaging scans, without demagnetization and magnet-induced image artifacts, allowing for effective ongoing medical treatment for the ABI recipients.