Head & Neck Surgery
Head and Neck Surgery focuses on the diagnosis and usually surgical treatment of head and neck malignant, benign or occasionally infective disorders of the upper aero digestive tract and the surrounding tissues, including lymph nodes, to which cancer may often spread.
Head and neck disorders are complex and are best managed by a multidisciplinary team of experts; each specialty contributing significantly from their own field of expertise and experience. All but the simplest cases are discussed in a weekly multidisciplinary Tumor Board Meeting attended by Head and Neck Surgery specialists from the fully integrated University Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery and the Hospital Authority Department of Ear Nose and Throat, Radiologists, Pathologists, Radiation Oncologists and Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, so that the ultimate management becomes a team decision built on a consensus for each individual patient.
By tailoring treatment to each patient’s specific condition, the collaboration of specialists aims to achieve the best result for each patient by formulating a comprehensive state-of-the-art treatment plan to maximize care which is based on the latest research and knowledge about head and neck surgical treatments — including research being done in our own Department.
We offer transoral robotic surgery (TORS), a scarless option and minimally invasive technique that makes it possible to access hard to reach tumors in the oropharynx. Reconstruction of a surgical defect, which is essential to achieve an acceptable functional and aesthetic outcome, is often provided by Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons.
When necessary, specialists from other disciplines are also involved in patient management. Such expertise includes but is not limited to that from Rhinologists, Ophthalmologists, Thoracic Surgeons, Vascular Surgeons, Oesophageal Surgeons, Neurosurgeons and Dental Surgeons. As part of our holistic approach to patient care, input from Audiologists, Community Nurses, Dieticians, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Psychologists, Social Welfare Officers, and Speech Therapists, is also available.
We are one of the recognized sub-specialty training centres for Head and Neck Surgery of the Hong Kong College of Otorhinolaryngologists providing services at the Prince of Wales Hospital, Alice Ho Nethersole Hospital, United Christian Hospital and Tseung Kwan O Hospital.
As head and neck surgeons we treat malignant, benign and occasionally infective conditions of the:
- Oral cavity – including 3-D tumour modelling when partial maxillectomy / mandibulectomy is planned.
- Oropharynx – including robot surgery of the tonsils and tongue base.
- Nasopharynx – including endoscopic nasopharyngectomy for recurrent nasopharyngeal carcinoma.
- Hypopharynx – including Endoscopic Laryngo-Pharyngeal Surgery (ELPS) for resection of early cancers in the hypopharynx and larynx.
- Larynx – including laser surgery for a wide range of laryngeal conditions.
- Nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses in collaboration with Rhinology Colleagues.
- Salivary glands – including diagnostic and therapeutic sialendoscopy and ablation of benign cysts and nodules.
- Neck – including lymph nodes but also nerve sheath, vascular and other soft tissues.
- Thyroid – benign and malignant disease – including ablation of benign cysts and nodules.